Connect with us

News

The Super League, a potential solution to Barcelona and Real Madrid’s economic problems

Avatar

Published

on

The Super League could offer a short-term solution to the economic challenges faced by FC Barcelona and Real Madrid, thanks to an injection of approximately 1 billion euros if the new competition gets underway. The final decision rests on the judgment of the European High Court, which will be announced next Thursday, the 21st.

The promoting clubs are confident that the ruling will establish a transitional framework, allowing teams to participate in the Super League without giving up their commitments in national leagues and cups. The project has significant financial backing, with investors willing to contribute 15 billion euros to launch a competition valued at 100 billion.

Out of this business volume, investors will retain 15%, while Barcelona and Madrid will benefit from the remaining 85%, with Barcelona receiving an additional bonus for its prominent role in the project’s continuity, according to Mundo Deportivo.

The influx of 1 billion euros through the Super League could immediately ease the financial difficulties of both Barcelona and Real Madrid. Although Real Madrid’s economic situation is as complicated as Barcelona’s, public perception may vary.

The European High Court’s judgment on December 21 is crucial for the fate of the Super League. An ambiguous resolution is expected, allowing UEFA and La Liga to claim victory by recognizing their right to organize football competitions.

However, it is also anticipated to provide room for A22 Sports Management, the driving force behind the Super League project, to announce its own triumph, arguing that UEFA does not have a monopoly on football tournaments.

The key lies in the concept of monopoly. The proponents hope that the judgment clarifies how a new competition can be established while complying with EU principles, avoiding a monopoly. While UEFA argues for the specificity of football and claims to be the appropriate body to organize football competitions.

In anticipation of the judgment breaking the monopoly, UEFA and ECA, with Nasser Al-Khelaifi (PSG), are gathering club signatures, expecting that even if the judgment is unfavorable to UEFA, clubs will remain in UEFA competitions.

If the judgment favors the Super League, there will be an information period to learn the details of A22 Sports Management’s plan and its CEO, Bernd Reichart.

Real Madrid strongly supports this project, while Barcelona does not rule out dialogue with UEFA, as long as clubs have the control promised in the future Super League. UEFA, financially backed by Qatar, could counter with a super-Champions in the coming years. The decision on December 21 will mark a significant milestone in the European football landscape.

Copyright © 2023 Los Blancos Live. All rights reserved.